UTEP >> College of Engineering >> Electrical & Computer Engineering >> Faculty Directory >> Miguel Velez-Reyes
|Miguel Velez-Reyes, Ph. D.|
Professor and Chair
Electrical & Computer Engineering
Engineering Building, Room A-327
(915) 747-7871 Fax
- Information extraction using minimally intrusive or remote sensing techniques.
- Signal and image processing technique applied to imaging spectroscopy or hyperspectral remote sensing.
- Physics-based signal processing.
|1992||Ph.D|| Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|1988||Engineer|| Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|1988||M.S|| Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|1985||B.S.E.E|| University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez|
Academic Honors & Awards:
2011 ECE Distinguished Professor for 2009-10 Academic Year, UPR Mayagüez.
2010 Elected Fellow of SPIE.
2005 Inducted to the Academy of Arts and Sciences of Puerto Rico.
2000 Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, May 2000.
2000 UPR Distinguished Researcher in Science and Technology, UPR Office of the President.
1999 Walter Fee Outstanding Young Engineer Award, IEEE Power Engineering Society.
1998 Distinguished Professor, Puerto Rico Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors Association, Mayagüez Chapter.
1997 Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE).
1992 Sigma Xi, Research Honor Society, elected by the MIT Chapter in 1992
1992 Grass Instruments Fellowship, January to May 1992.
1985-91 Fellow of the AT&T Cooperative Research Fellowship Program.
1985 Georg Simon Ohm Award. Best student of the 1985 UPRM Electrical Engineering Graduating Class.
1984 Tau Beta Pi, Engineering Honor Society, elected in 1984.
1983 Phi Kappa Phi, Scientific Honor Society, elected in 1983.
1. M.A. Goenaga, M.C. Torres-Maldronero, M. Velez-Reyes, S.J. Van Bloem, and J.D. Chinea, “Multi-temporal unmixing analysis of Hyperion images over the Guanica dry forest.” Accepted for publication in the IEEE Journal in Special Topics on Applied Remote Sensing, 2012.
2. L.P. Dorado, M. Velez-Reyes, A. Mukerjee, and B. Roysam, “Vector SIFT Detector for Interest Point Detection in Hyperspectral Imagery.” To appear in IEEE Transactions on Geosciences and Remote Sensing, November 2012.
3. B. Trigueros-Espinosa, M. Velez-Reyes, N.G. Santiago and S. Rosario-Torres, "Evaluation of the graphic processing unit architecture for the implementation of target detection algorithms for hyperspectral imagery", Journal of Applied Remote Sensing 6, 061506 (Jun 21, 2012);http://dx.doi.org/10.1117/1.JRS.6.061506
4. M.Velez-Reyes, J. A. Goodman, and B.E. Saleh, “Spectral Subsurface Imaging.” In B.E. Saleh, ed., Introduction to Subsurface Imaging, Cambridge University Press, 2011. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511732577
5. A. Mukerjee, M. Velez-Reyes, and B. Roysam, “Interest Points for Hyperspectral Image Data”. In IEEE Transactions on Geosciences and Remote Sensing, Vol. 47, No. 3, March 2009, pp. 748 - 760. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.2008.2011280
6. J.M. Duarte-Carvajalino, G. Sapiro, M. Velez-Reyes, and P.E. Castillo, “Multiscale Representation and Segmentation of Hyperspectral Imagery using Geometric Partial Differential Equations and Algebraic Multigrid Methods.” In IEEE Transactions on Geosciences and Remote Sensing, Vol. 46, No. 8, August 2008, pp. 2418-2434. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.2008.916478
7. V. Manian and M. Velez-Reyes, “Support vector classification of land cover and benthic habitat from hyperspectral images,” In International Journal of High Speed Electronics and Systems, Vol. 18, No. 2, June 2008, pp. 337-348. http://dx.doi.org/10.1142/S0129156408005382
8. M. Velez-Reyes, W. Rivera-Gallego, and L.O. Jiménez-Rodríguez, “A Solutionware for Hyperspectral Image Processing and Analysis.” In A.J. Plaza and C.I. Chang, editors, High-Performance Computing in Remote Sensing, Chapman & Hall/CRC Press, October 2007. http://www.crcnetbase.com/isbn/9781584886624
9. J.M. Duarte-Carvajalino, P. Castillo, and M. Velez-Reyes, “Comparative Study of Semi-implicit Schemes for Nonlinear Diffusion in Hyperspectral Imagery.” In IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 16, No.5, May 2007, pages: 1303 – 1314.http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2007.894266
10. L.O. Jiménez-Rodríguez, E. Arzuaga-Cruz, and M. Velez-Reyes, "Unsupervised Feature Extraction Techniques for Hyperspectral Data and its Effects on Supervised and Unsupervised Classification." In IEEE Transactions on Geosciences and Remote Sensing, Vol. 45, no. 2, February 2007, pages:469 – 483.http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.2006.885412